Did you know that dealing with garbage doesn’t have to be a down and dirty process? Renting a dumpster makes waste disposal a cinch. Depending on the size of your event or project, you can pick the appropriate container and fill it at your leisure. There’s no paying a person for their time and labor.
But, certainly, your decision may be contingent upon several factors including how much a dumpster rental is going to cost you. Luckily, we can give you some inside information on renting a dumpster.
How Much Is A Dumpster Rental?
There isn’t one straight answer to this question since prices vary by project and state. But, generally speaking, dumpster rentals cost anywhere from $200 to $800 per week.
Depending on the company, there may be surcharges for fuel, environmental fees, gratuity, or other items. At Captain Hook, it’s a bit different — you’re charged a flat price plus the required sales tax. We don’t stick our customers with hidden costs.
The only exception to the “no extra fees” rule is if legal weight and height limits are not followed, and/or prohibited items are found in the dumpster (which we will discuss shortly).
What Is The Dumpster Rental Process?
We can’t speak to other companies but with Captain Hook, renting a dumpster is easy:
- First, you give us a call and tell us about your project. Based on what you explain to us, we’ll recommend the best dumpster for the job (10, 20, or 30-yard capacity) and provide an immediate quote.
- Next, you set up an account through our user-friendly system (it only takes a few minutes) and schedule your delivery via phone call, text, or email. In many instances, if you call us before noon, we can provide same-day service. You’ll get a 2-hour window and the driver will give you a courtesy call to let you know they are on the way.
- We arrive and deliver. From there, it’s yours to fill. Our standard rental period is for 14 days with the ability to extend for $5 per day. Once you’re finished with your dumpster, simply give us a quick call and we’ll come to pick it up. We ensure that all waste is disposed of in an eco-friendly manner.
How Much Weight is Included in the Price?
The maximum amount of waste you can place in a dumpster is 20,000 lbs (or 10 ton) However, due to the high cost the city charges to dispose of the waste, we have included it in the price allowable amounts for each dumpster size. You can exceed these amounts but keep in mind that you will be charged $65 per ton for any weight over the amounts allowed. Below are the three dumpster sizes we offer with the amount of weight included in the price for each dumpster size.
- 10-yard dumpsters – 6,000 pounds (or 3 tons)
- 20-yard dumpsters – 8,000 pounds (or 4 tons)
- 30-yard dumpsters – (or 5 tons)
Also, it’s worth noting that we are not able to physically lift and legally haul more than 20,000 pounds (or 10 tons). And, according to law, items must be contained below the top of the dumpster.
Can Anything Go In The Dumpster?
As is the case with household garbage as well as junk removal services, not everything is accepted. We have a list of items that can and can’t go in the dumpster. This is pretty standard across the industry. If prohibited waste is found at the time of disposal, you may be charged an additional fee of $85 per item.
Where Is The Dumpster Placed?
There are a couple of methods companies use for placing dumpsters — the traditional roll-off cable method and the hook-lift system. The traditional has cables and winches that typically result in a hard drop to the ground. The hook-lift technique employs a hydraulic-powered hook mechanism that effortlessly lifts containers.
Captain Hook utilizes a hook-lift system along with slightly smaller units (they’re able to fit into a single parking space). This is intentional since it comes with several benefits:
- We can safely travel on weaker surfaces.
- We can fit the dumpster into tighter spaces.
- It allows for a gentler and more accurate placement which reduces the chance of damage to property.
Of course, if you’re still worried about damage, let us know — we can install a barrier in between your driveway and the dumpster.
Please note that if you want a dumpster to be moved, it should be done by a professional. They know how to correctly relocate a unit to avoid damage to your property and the dumpster.
How Do You Prepare For The Dumpster?
One important task is to check if you need a permit to place your dumpster. Simply contact your local authorities to find out if it’s required.
When it comes to physical preparations for your location, simply clean the area that’s going to hold the dumpster. We don’t recommend soft soil or grass since the unit will increase in weight and may sink into the ground. Additionally, you might want to have some plywood available so it can be placed underneath the dumpster to prevent damage to asphalt or concrete.
In The Austin Area And Looking For More Info?
We can help! We’re affordable, licensed, insured, and we’ve been in the business for nearly two decades. We’ve completed a seemingly countless number of residential and commercial projects.